Can I Buy UK Property From Singapore?Investing From Overseas
It is possible to purchase UK property from Singapore, and there are several benefits to investing in UK properties over Singapore property.
Read more about investing in UK property as a Singapore investor.
Why Should Singaporeans Invest in UK Property?
Compared to Singapore, the UK’s economy is arguably more stable, and its property market is more affordable due to more space and higher numbers of properties on the market. The average price of landed properties in Singapore is currently around £2,080,533, while the UK’s average property price as of 2023 is around £285,000, making UK property a more cost-effective option.
Additionally, the UK has high tenant demand and a low supply of rental properties, which means rents are rising, and investors can earn more rental income. By selecting some of the best places to invest in the UK, you can achieve high rental yields and increase your returns.
Across the next five years, certain areas in the UK – like the North West – are expected to see capital growth of around 11.7%, meaning that continued lucrative gains can be expected in the coming years.
The UK housing market is known for its stability, and investment properties are considered to be more secure than other forms of investment due to their physical assets. Singaporeans can buy multiple properties and establish an investment real estate portfolio without any limit when it comes to buying UK property from Singapore.
Investing in UK property is similar to buying property in Singapore, with some small differences.
You can find properties through portals like Zoopla or OnTheMarket, or contact estate agents or property investment companies directly.
When looking for an investment property, focus on affordable areas with high rental yields and significant tenant demand. The process of buying a property is called conveyancing, which is the same in Singapore. You will need to hire a solicitor to do this for you to make sure everything is legal and done the right way.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind if you are a Singaporean resident looking to buy property in the UK:
- You may be able to get a mortgage from a Singaporean bank, but you will likely need to put down a larger deposit than a UK resident.
- You may need to pay a higher interest rate on your mortgage.
- You may need to provide additional documentation to the lender, such as proof of income and assets.
- You may need to use a lawyer to help you with the purchase process.
- It is important to note that the UK government has introduced a number of measures to cool the property market in recent years. These measures include increasing stamp duty on high-value properties and imposing restrictions on buy-to-let mortgages. As a result, it may be more difficult and expensive to buy property in the UK from Singapore today than it was a few years ago.