In the UK, many cities have been completely transformed through the process of urban regeneration.
This was particularly emphasised in the North of England, where cities like Liverpool and Manchester were incredibly run-down due to economic decline in the 1980s.
Currently, both Liverpool and Manchester are some of the most significant economic powerhouses in the UK.
The following urban regeneration projects are some of the most prominent examples of the UK’s regional development, commercial development, neighbourhood renewal, and economic regeneration.
Examples of urban regeneration projects UK in Liverpool include:
- Liverpool ONE – a major £960m outdoor shopping centre that helped attract massive private investment in Liverpool city centre.
- Knowledge Quarter – a £2bn regeneration knowledge hub that introduced and improved educational facilities in Liverpool city centre. The area is now home to the Royal College of Physicians, Liverpool Science Park, University of Liverpool, and more.
- Liverpool Waters – An upcoming £5.5bn inner-city regeneration project set to add two million sq.m. of residential, leisure, and business space by creating five neighbourhoods on Liverpool’s waterfront.
Examples of urban regeneration projects UK in Manchester include:
- Spinningfields – A £1.5bn redevelopment that created an entirely new neighbourhood in Manchester city centre. Introduced world-class office space, which has attracted over 150 financial and commercial organisations.
- MediaCityUK – A £2bn project that renewed derelict industrial dockland in Salford Quays. The area is now home to major media companies like the BBC and ITV.
- NOMA – A £800m mixed-use development in Manchester city centre that has created four million sq. ft of retail, residential, office, and leisure space.
These are just six examples of urban regeneration projects and inner-city regeneration projects in the UK.
With urban regeneration in London and cities like Leeds also expansive, many UK cities have been completely transformed thanks to regeneration projects.
You can learn more about the UK’s latest and most famous urban regeneration projects by checking out our guide to the top 7 urban regeneration areas in the UK in 2021 and beyond.